Shani Louk, an Israeli-German woman, who was believed to have been kidnapped by Hamas fighters during a music festival in Israel, has been confirmed dead by her mother. A DNA sample taken from part of a skull bone was identified as Shani’s. The 22-year-old was attending the festival near the Kibbutz Re’im when the attack occurred, leading to the death of over 260 people and the capture of several others. A video circulated showing a woman’s body being paraded by Hamas armed fighters, and though there was initial hope for Shani’s survival, her family has now accepted her death, assuming she was shot in the head during the attack. Shani Louk identification process has been challenging due to the condition of some bodies, and more than 8,000 people have been reported killed in the conflict.
Hamas is considered a terrorist organization by multiple countries and international bodies, including the United States, the European Union, and Israel. It has been designated as such due to its history of engaging in acts of violence, including rocket attacks, suicide bombings, and other forms of terrorism targeted at civilians. Additionally, its refusal to recognize Israel’s right to exist and its continued calls for the destruction of Israel contribute to its classification as a terrorist organization by various entities.
According to BBC Source
The mother of Shani Louk, an Israeli-German woman thought to have been kidnapped by Hamas fighters at a music festival in Israel, says her daughter is dead.
Speaking to German media, Ricarda Louk said she had been told by the Israeli military that a DNA sample taken from part of a skull bone proved to be Shani’s.
Her body has not yet been found.
Shani’s sister also confirmed the death on social media.
Adi Louk wrote on Instagram on Monday that Shani had been killed in the “massacre at Re’im” – a reference to the attack staged by Hamas in southern Israel, near the Gaza Strip, on 7 October.
But it was not clear from the reports where or when the fragment of her skull had been found.
Israel’s foreign ministry wrote on X, formerly Twitter, that it was “devastated” to have to share the news of her death.
The 22-year-old had been attending the festival near the Kibbutz Re’im when gunmen opened fire and sent terrified partygoers fleeing through the desert.
More than 260 people were killed, the Israeli authorities said, while others were taken hostage.
Soon after the attack, a video began circulating widely on social media, showing the body of a young woman being paraded through the streets in the back of a flatbed truck, surrounded by armed fighters and others yelling “Allahu Akbar” (God is Greatest).
The woman was lying face down but Ms Louk’s family say they identified her from her dreadlocks and distinctive tattoos. For more updates visit thedailycourierng news