Uromi killings: DSS has arrested the 2 principal suspects
The Edo State government said operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have arrested two principal suspects linked to the killing of 16 Nigerians of Northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area.
The victims, who were hunters travelling from Port Harcourt, Rivers State, to Kano for the Sallah celebration on March 28, were intercepted by local vigilantes, mistaken for kidnappers, and lynched
In a statement, Fred Itua, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpebholo, confirmed that the suspects were arrested in Uromi following credible intelligence.
He added that security agencies are actively pursuing other key suspects involved in the tragic incident.
He said the arrested individuals have been transferred to Abuja for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.
Governor Okpebholo, during a condolence visit to Kano State on Monday, disclosed that 14 other suspects had already been apprehended in connection with the killings.
He assured the victims’ families that justice would be served and that adequate compensation would be provided.
Yusuf restates demand for justice
The Kano State Government has reiterated its call for justice over the tragic killing of 16 Kano indigenes in Uromi, Edo State.
In a statement by the Kano State Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Ibrahim Abdullahi Waiya, Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf thanked Edo State governor, Sen. Monday Okpebholo, for visiting the victims’ families in Torankawa, Kano where most of the hunters hail from.
Governor Yusuf emphasized the need for a transparent legal process and called for the public parade of the arrested suspects to ensure that justice is visibly served.
“We appreciate the actions taken so far, but justice must not only be done; it must be seen to be done. The people of Kano, and indeed all Nigerians, deserve to see those responsible for this massacre brought to justice publicly,” he said.
The governor also commended Governor Okpebholo for engaging with the Hausa community in Edo State to prevent further escalation of tensions.
He acknowledged the Edo State government’s commitment to compensating the bereaved families and urged swift implementation of the promised support.
“The compensation which the delegation promised is a commendable step, but it must be executed without delay to support the grieving families who have lost their breadwinners,” Yusuf said.
The Kano State government also thanked President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his prompt directive to security agencies to apprehend and prosecute the perpetrators of the killings.
It said the federal government’s swift intervention underscores its commitment to ensuring the security and protection of all Nigerians, regardless of their state of origin.
The statement said, “The people of Torankawa, where most of the victims hailed from, also expressed their appreciation for the concerted efforts of both the Edo State government and that of the federal government in addressing the matter.
“The governor of Kano and that of Edo had both committed to ensuring a thorough and transparent justice process to ensure that such an unfortunate incident never occurs again in any part of the country.
“The Kano State government remains steadfast in its demand for justice and would continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure that the families of the victims receive the compensation and the treatment they deserve.”
Victims’ right to freedom of movement violated – NHRC
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has described the killing of the hunters as horrific and a gross violation of human rights.
The executive secretary of the commission, Dr Tony Ojukwu, in a statement on Tuesday, noted that the victims’ right to freedom of movement, as guaranteed under Nigerian and international human rights laws, was violated.
Ojukwu, therefore, called for the immediate arrest and prosecution of all those responsible for the killings, insisting that “jungle justice has no place in a civilised society.”
“The commission demands that the perpetrators be identified and brought to justice.
“We call on the government to take concrete steps to prevent such incidents. There is no justification for mob action anywhere in the world,” he said.
He urged security agencies to strengthen intelligence gathering and community engagement to prevent similar occurrences, adding that law enforcement must be left in the hands of trained professionals.
Ojukwu also called on traditional rulers, religious leaders and civil society organisations to raise awareness about the dangers of jungle justice and the importance of upholding the rule of law.
He reaffirmed the commission’s commitment to advocating for human rights, justice and accountability in Nigeria.
He assured that NHRC would continue monitoring the situation and engaging with relevant authorities to ensure justice for the victims.
Northern CAN calls for calm
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in the 19 northern states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has expressed grief and sorrow over the killing of 16 travellers in Uromi, Edo.
The group, in a statement by the chairman, Rev. John Hayab, and the secretary general, Bishop Mohammed Naga, in Kaduna, said, “The pain and anguish their families and loved ones must endure are unbearable, and we can only imagine the depth of their sufferings.
“May God grant them comfort, strength, and solace during these darkest of times.
“This heinous act of violence is a stain on our collective humanity, and CAN condemns it in the strongest terms.”
It stated that the brutal taking of innocent lives is a tragedy that should unite us all in our outrage and our determination to ensure that justice is served.
“As Christians, we stand in solidarity with their families, recognising that this act of violence is not only an attack on any region but on our shared humanity,” it added.
The northern CAN appealed to those calling for counter-reaction to reconsider their actions, noting that revenge is not a solution but a recipe for further chaos and destruction.
It tasked the security agencies, the government of Edo and the federal government to ensure diligence in investigating the heinous crime and prosecuting those involved.
“We firmly believe that strengthening our justice system to ensure swift and fair punishment for perpetrators of crime is essential for lasting peace in our nation.
“By doing so, we can break the cycle of violence and create a safer, more just society for all Nigerians,” it added.
State lawmakers demand stricter oversight of vigilante groups
The Conference of State Legislatures has called for enhanced oversight of community policing structures established by state governments to ensure they function effectively and uphold security.
In a statement signed by its chairman, Adebo Ogundoyin, the lawmakers said proper oversight is necessary to prevent these security initiatives from becoming a threat to peace and stability.
“It is essential to ensure that local security operatives function with professionalism, respect for human rights, and adherence to the rule of law. Effective oversight will safeguard the integrity of these initiatives and prevent them from being misused or turned into instruments of injustice,” the statement read.
The lawmakers described the killing as a violation of human rights and expressed condolences to the bereaved families.
Meanwhile, the Nasrul-Lahi-l-Fatih Society (NASFAT) and the Muslim Congress (TMC) have called for justice for the victims to serve as a deterrent to future recurrence.
They also urged all affected communities to exercise restraint and resist the impulse towards retaliation.
The Chief Missioner of NASFAT, Imam Maroofdeen AbdulAzeez Onike, in a statement, advised the security forces to intensify efforts to apprehend the perpetrators of the heinous act and bring them to justice.
Imam Onike also referenced a verse from the Glorious Qur’an (Q5:32), reminding the society that killing an innocent soul is akin to killing all of mankind and urged Nigerians to value every life and to work towards building a society that upholds peace, justice, and unity.
TMC, in a statement by its Amir, Alhaji AbdulWasi’I Taiwo Bangbala, called on state and federal authorities to implement stricter oversight of vigilante groups nationwide.
This, he said, was to ensure that their operations align with legal frameworks and are conducted under the supervision of law enforcement agencies.
Reference
Uromi killings: DSS has arrested the 2 principal suspects